Position Title: Community Health Education Assistant
Location: Lower Sioux Indian Community, Morton, MN
Reports to: Lower Sioux Community Health Director & Clinic CEO
Hours: Temporary; up to 20 hours per week; includes some evening and weekend hours. Grant
funded through Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Minnesota through September 2018.
Salary: Commensurate upon experience
Opening Date: February 6, 2018
Closing Date: February 16, 2018
- Any employment offer is contingent on results of a drug and alcohol test as a condition of obtaining employment
- American Indian/Alaska Native preference applies for equally qualified candidates
- Must be able to pass a health care provider background check allowing candidate to work in a Medicare certified health care facility
The role of the Community Health Education Assistant is to provide support with programming and activities in the Community Health and Lower Sioux Health Care Center for children, families, adults and elders of the Lower Sioux Indian Community. Community health education is provided in various settings including community and public venues for individuals, small groups and larger audiences.
- Graduation from an accredited college with a degree in health education or other health, fitness or recreation field, preferred.
- Experience or certification in health care preferred.
- Flexibility with hours.
- Ability to manage time effectively.
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing and verbally.
- Knowledge and experience working with American Indian/Alaska Native communities, culture and tribal programs preferred.
- Experience in planning and providing health education in individual, family and group settings.
- Strong computer skills and competency in the use of Microsoft programs.
- Ability to schedule groups and meetings.
- Must have current driver’s license, reliable personal transportation, proof of current insurance coverage, and insurability under the tribe’s auto insurance policy.
- Must pass a requisite background check and pre-employment drug screening.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Works under direction of community health, clinic and planning departments.
- Assists with conducting needs assessments and participates in strategic planning to address community health issues (e.g. obesity, physical activity, commercial tobacco use, diabetes and lung disease).
- Participates in planning, development and implementation of health department programs.
- Works collaboratively with other internal (departments) and external agencies (Public Health, Hospitals, etc.) of the Lower Sioux Indian Community.
- Refers clients to appropriate resources (e.g. social services, housing, etc).
- Provides information by answering questions and requests.
- Maintains confidentiality.
- Plans and monitors resources such as supplies and food; ordering accordingly.
- Follows dress code.
- Acts in a respectful manner and maintain a professional demeanor and presentation at all times.
- Assists in coordinating events such as health fair, community dinners and other activities.
- Company supported travel required at times for required meetings and training.
- Other duties as assigned by Supervisor.
- Assists in preparing requisite reports for BCBS grant.
Questions may be directed to:
Apply Online at www.lowersiouxhhs.org/employment/