Position Title: Medical Assistant/LPN
Location: Lower Sioux Indian Community, Morton, MN
Reports to: Lower Sioux Social Services Director/CEO of Health, Social Services & Clinic
Hours: Temporary Part time (through October 2018 with opportunity for permanency)
Salary: Commensurate upon experience
Opening Date: August 2, 2017
Closing Date: Until Filled
- Any employment offer is contingent on results of a drug and alcohol test as a condition of obtaining employment
- American Indian/Alaska Native preference applies for equally qualified candidates
- Must be able to pass a health care provider background check allowing candidate to work in a Medicare certified health care facility
- Must successfully execute electronic health record exercises at time of interview
The MA/LPN renders care within their scope of practice to patients and families in the clinic setting and coordinates the nursing office function as advised by the providers and under the direction of the registered nurse within Lower Sioux Health Care Center.
- High school diploma or successful completion of a GED.
- Completion of a medical assistant program strongly preferred.
- Experience in a clinic setting is strongly preferred.
- Experience with medical procedural skills and nursing skills preferred.
- Ability to manage time effectively.
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing and orally.
- Knowledge and experience working with Native American communities, culture and tribal programs preferred.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Demonstrated proficiency using Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability to learn anatomy and electronic health record programs for physician’s orders and patient scheduling.
- Must have current driver’s license, reliable personal transportation, proof of current insurance coverage, and insurability under the tribe’s auto insurance policy.
- Must pass a requisite background check and pre-employment drug screening.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manages patient schedule and flow.
- Organizes patient information.
- Completes referrals; faxing, mailing and telephone communication.
- Documents appropriately and proficiently.
- Interfaces with other departments in appropriate manner to facilitate patient care.
- Returns patient calls in a timely manner.
- Rooms patients per department standards.
- Assists with procedures.
- Provides patient and family education.
- Administers medications including injections, immunizations; documents and charges accordingly.
- Collects and handles specimens appropriately.
- Advocates for patients as needed.
- Communicates with appropriate care givers as needed.
- Maintains patient confidentiality, privacy and dignity at all times.
- Maintains cleanliness.
- Complies with OSHA standards for safety and infection prevention.
- Supports the mission, vision and values of Lower Sioux Health Care Center and the Lower Sioux Indian Community.
- Maintains a customer and patient focus.
- Represents Lower Sioux Health Care Center and the Lower Sioux Indian Community in a positive and professional manner at all times.
- Supports the facility standards of care.
- Participates in governance, practice and quality initiatives.
- Supports initiatives of the Lower Sioux Health Care Center leadership and the Lower Sioux Indian Community Tribal Council.
- Communicates openly and honestly with providers, leadership and coworkers to support high quality patient care.
- Maintains supplies inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level; anticipating needed supplies; placing and expediting orders for supplies; verifying receipt of supplies.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Follows dress code.
- Acts in a respectful manner and maintain a professional demeanor and presentation at all times.
- Fills in for telephone and front-desk reception as assigned.
- Assists in community events such as health fair, community dinners and other activities.
- Other duties as assigned by Supervisor.
Questions may be directed to:
Darin Prescott, DNP, MBA, RN
Director of Community Health & Clinic CEO
Apply Online at www.lowersiouxhhs.org/employment/