JOB TITLE: Dental Hygienist
DEPARTMENT: Lower Sioux Dental Clinic
REPORTS TO: Director of Community Health, Social Services and Clinic CEO
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
The Lower Sioux Healthcare Center is seeking a dental hygienist. This is a new dental clinic that seeks to provide kind, compassionate care, in a culturally competent manner. Qualified candidates will be trained dental hygienists; that place a personal emphasis on delivering quality and detailed care, have good interpersonal and communication skills, assist with dental clinic support, possess well developed computer skills and the ability to acquire new skills.
Under supervision of the dentist, the dental hygienist is responsible for a range of tasks in the clinic. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, patient interaction and education, general dental hygiene procedure, maintaining dental clinic environment, sterile technique and lab, administrative and record duties, dental lab, and radiological functions. Dental hygienist may complete other duties as requested by the dentist or administration. Applicant must be a quick learner, capable of adapting to, and working in a fast-changing environment.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Minnesota registered dental hygienist
- General knowledge of Indian Self Determination P.L. 93-638
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Experience and education as a dental hygienist.
- Strong knowledge of dental anatomy, physiology, equipment, instruments, and the technical practices of dental hygiene.
- Evaluates overall oral health, examining oral cavity for signs of periodontal disease or possible cancers, including sores, recessed and bleeding gums, and oral lesions.
- Documents dental history or chief complaint; records and reports pertinent observations and patient reactions to dental staff, as appropriate; documents lab procedures and ensures follow up on results.
- Experience operating dental x-ray equipment to properly expose and process dental radiographs.
- Practical knowledge of sterile technique and occupational safety.
- Prepare and maintain dental instruments, equipment, and supplies, ensuring all instruments and equipment is sterile prior to use.
- Follows through with oral hygiene procedures in accordance with treatment plans prescribed by the attending Dentist. Procedures may include, but are not limited to: Prophylaxis, Periodontal Scaling, Root Planing, Debridement, Application of Fluoride Treatments, and Application of Protective Sealants.
- Monitor and manage inventory related to dental hygiene.
- Strong computer experience and aptitude.
- Strong interpersonal skills and strong organizational skills.
- Must be able to manage sensitive and highly confidential information in a professional manner.
- Pass a thorough criminal background check.
- Possess a valid Driver’s License for state of residency and be insurable under the Tribal vehicle insurance policy.
- Willing to receive additional training and willing to work in a changing/dynamic role.
- Assist in the training of dental auxiliaries.
- Participates in appropriate health promotion/disease prevention activities, both on-site and off-site as required (Education)
- Assists with or institutes emergency measures for sudden adverse developments during treatment of patients.
- May complete other duties as requested by the dentist and clinic administration.
SKILLS KNOWLEDGE AND ATTRIBUTES:
- Ability to work with little supervision and maintain a high level of performance.
- A team player, always neat and courteous.
- Takes pride in work and responsibilities.
- Able to handle emergency situations.
- Uses good judgment.
- Good communication skills
- Reliable worker, work all scheduled days and hours.
This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all the responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management and Community Council reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed when circumstances change (e.g. emergencies, changes in personnel, workload, rush jobs or technical developments).
Position open until filled.
Applications and questions may be directed to:
Darin Prescott, DNP, MBA, RN
Director of Health, Social Services & Clinic CEO