Position Title: Optical Retail Specialist
Location: Lower Sioux Health Care Center, Lower Sioux Indian Community, Morton, MN
Reports to: Lower Sioux Health Care Center CEO
Salary: $14.14 to $16.52 per hour depending on experience
Hours: 40 hours per week
Opening Date: November 2, 2021
Closing Date: Until filled
Any employment offer is contingent on results of a drug and alcohol test and a health care background check as required by Centers for Medicare Services, as a condition of obtaining employment
American Indian/Alaska Native preference applies to equally qualified candidates
Position may qualify for Indian Health Service Student Loan Repayment program – candidate to investigate opportunity
The Optical Retail Specialist maintains a retail environment and assists customers in the selection and purchase of eyewear and other retail sales. Is responsible for maintaining a designated inventory of merchandise. Participates in training and quality programs as required and recommended by regulatory and accrediting bodies.
- Experience as an optician in retail optical setting or other experience preferred.
- Retail customer services, point-of-sale, and leadership experience preferred.
- Graduate of an optical training program with certification as an optician by a program accredited by the Commission on Optician Accreditation (COA) strongly preferred.
- Ability to manage a retail setting with inventory and payments.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Knowledge and experience working with Native American communities, culture, and customs.
- Must pass a requisite background check.
- Proficient in Microsoft, Outlook and other programs.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Analyzes prescriptions from ophthalmologists and optometrists to dispense eyeglasses.
- Gathers patient information including what the glasses will be used for, level of activity and facial features.
- Assists with scheduling appointments and reception as needed.
- Works with the Health Finance Manager to assure inventory and sales are optimized.
- Develops targeted marketing campaigns to maintain and increase sales.
- Makes recommendations to the patient on types of frames and lenses.
- Measures facial points to assure glasses fit.
- Sends eye glass orders to a dispensing optician.
- Checks eye glass prescriptions using lensometer.
- Verifies completed eyeglasses meet order specifications.
- Adjusts glasses to the client’s face, bending the frames to ensure a fit.
- Communicates with vendors, customers, and members of the health care team.
- Demonstrates customer service skills at point of sale.
- Maintains a clean, safe, comfortable environment for customers, patients, visitors, and staff.
- Complies dress code and maintains a professional image.
- Attends and participates in various meetings including staff, approved workshops, and trainings.
- Adheres to ethical standards of business.
- Maintains customer/client confidentiality and adheres to the confidentiality of all internal information per tribe’s HIPAA policy.
- Addresses concerns from customers in a professional manner.
- Demonstrates interpersonal relationship skills in communicating with patients, clients, families and co-workers.
- Develops and maintains a knowledge of medical terminology, health conditions, and anatomy.
- Other duties as assigned by Supervisor.
Please submit letter (email) of interest and questions may be directed to:
Darin Prescott, DNP, MBA, RN
Health & Clinic CEO