Return to the basics of healthful eating by adopting a healthy lifestyle that is focused on consuming fewer calories, making informed food choices and getting daily exercise. Here are a few tips to get you started on building a healthy lifestyle:
- Eat Breakfast~ Start your day off right by eating a healthy breakfast! Include lean protein, whole grains, fruits and vegetables.
- Make half your plate fruits and vegetables~ Fruits and veggies add not only color, flavor and texture, but vitamins, minerals and fiber! Try to make 2 cups of fruit and 2 ½ cups of vegetables your daily goal. During winter months, cut costs by purchasing frozen vegetables.
- Pay attention to portion sizes~ Pull the measuring cups out of your cupboard and measure out how much is in a serving. You can also control portion sizes by using half your plate for fruits and vegetables and the other half for whole grains and lean meat, poultry or beans.
- Become more active~ Regular physical activity lowers blood pressure and helps your body control stress and weight. Start by doing what exercise you can for at least 10 minutes at a time, working your way to getting two hours and thirty minutes per week.
- Plan Healthy Snacks~ Healthy snacks can sustain your energy levels between meals. Try to make your snacks “combination snacks.” Choose from at least two of the MyPlate food groups: whole grains, fruits, vegetables, low fat dairy, lean protein or nuts.
- Get cooking~ Plan your meals for the week by exploring cookbooks and online recipe databases, such as http://diabetes.org and shop according to the list of foods needed for your weekly meal plan. You will find this more cost effective, healthy and rewarding!
- Consult with your Lower Sioux Registered Dietitian, Stacy Hammer~ Whether you want to lose weight, lower your cholesterol, or simply eat better, Stacy can offer expert advice tailored to help you meet your healthy lifestyle goals. Contact Stacy at: 697-6193 to schedule your appointment today!