Ways to Reduce Cholesterol:
Limit saturated fats and trans fats:
- Foods high in saturated fats include fatty meat, poultry skin, bacon, sausage, whole milk, cream, and butter.
- Trans fats are found in stick margarine, shortening, some fried foods, and packaged foods made with hydrogenated oils.
- Instead of butter or stick margarine, try reduced-fat, whipped, or liquid spreads. Consider using sterol or stanol rich margarines.
Limit the amount of cholesterol that you eat to less than 200 milligrams (mg) per day.
- Foods high in cholesterol include egg yolks (one egg yolk has about 212 mg of cholesterol), fatty meat, whole milk, cheese, shrimp, lobster, and crab.
Eat more omega-3 fats (heart-healthy fats):
- Good choices include salmon, tuna, mackerel, and sardines. Aim to eat fish twice a week.
- Other foods with omega-3 fats include walnuts and canola and soybean oils.
- Flaxseed is another source of omega-3 fats. Have it as flaxseed oil or ground flaxseed.
Get 20 g to 30 g of dietary fiber per day:
- Fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and beans are good sources of fiber
- Aim for 5 cups of fruits and vegetables per day.
- Have 3 ounces (oz) of whole grain foods every day. Look for whole grain breads with 3 grams of fiber per slice on the food label.
Plan to eat more plant-based meals, using beans and soy foods for protein. Eating at least 25 grams of soy protein each day may help improve heart health. You can get this much soy protein by drinking 3 1/2 cups of soymilk per day, or by eating a few servings of soy:
- Add soy to your eating plan by having a soy patty instead of hamburger, or using soy burger crumbles in place of meat in spaghetti sauce, chili or tacos.
- Enjoy a soy based sausage instead of pork or bacon for breakfast. Snack on edamame or roasted soy nuts and add them to your favorite salads.
- Talk with Stacy; your Lower Sioux dietitian, or doctor about what a healthy weight is for you. Set goals to reach and maintain that weight. Talk with your health care team to find out what types of physical activity are best for you. Set a plan to get about 30 minutes of exercise on most days.